17 THE STREETS OF HAMPTON (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Non Hampton and Richmond Borough FC related' started by Les 1949, Jan 8, 2018.

  1. Les 1949

    Les 1949 Member

    HAMPTON, AROUND AND ABOUT

    Things you may not know, or didn’t know you knew!


    No 17 STREETS OF HAMPTON (Part 2)

    Street Life – Roxy Music, 1973


    Another look into the background of some street names in Hampton…..



    CHANDLER CLOSE – is a small road, off Linden Road which is alongside the railway line on the other side of the level crossing. Yes, it is named after someone called Chandler – the Reverend Dr Daniel Chandler. Dr Chandler was head of Hampton School 1759 – 1791. At the time, Hampton School was not where it is currently located in Hanworth Road. Hampton School originally started in a room adjacent to St Mary’s Church – which is where Dr Chandler would have been based. In 1880 the school moved to a site opposite where Chandler Close is now, located on the Upper Sunbury Road. The School then moved to its present site in 1939.



    Sometime after 1972 the old school buildings were demolished. The area is now residential and many streets in the area bear the name of previous heads, or benefactors, of the school – Heather Close (Rev George F Heather, Head, 1868 -1898) and Hemming Close (Rev Dr Samuel Hemming, Head 1803 – 1828) – are located off Chandler Close, whilst Lacey Drive (Nathaniel Lacey, Benefactor, 17th Century) ; Mason Close (Alfred Mason OBE, Head, 1924 – 1950) and Hammond Close (Robert Hammond, Founder of the School, 1557)





    are situated on the site of the old school.



    DENNING CLOSE – is one of many small roads in and around the Nurserylands Estate. William Denning (1837 – 1910) was connected with the Market Gardens that were located all over Hampton. Denning was a Florist and Nurseryman. Although born in Surrey, he spent his early years in Yorkshire, working as a gardener. At some stage Denning moved first to Kingston, then to Hampton employing other gardeners in his business. Denning also became a local Hampton Councillor. It is no real surprise that one of the roads in the Nurserylands was named after him, as are many other former nurserymen – Hawley Close, Orpwood Close and Rumsey Close are amongst them.



    FALCON ROAD – this one goes way back into Hampton’s history. There was a track which skirted the Ten Acre Fields, in existence since at least the 17th century. The track provided a route between Oak Avenue and Holly Bush Lane. The track was given the name Falcon Road by the above-mentioned William Denning in 1898. Denning was living in Oak Avenue at the time. Broad Lane Garage is on the corner of Falcon Road.



    BEAVER CLOSE – no, I am not going to come up with the explanation as to how Beaver Close came to be so named. However, I did discover – from a local resident – the other day, that Viking Court was built on the site of an orchard. At least one resident in the block of old cottages besides the ground remembers when the orchard was levelled to build the block of flats.


    SHERIDAN PLACE – which leads past Twickenham Preparatory School and Beveree House is built on part of the old Beveree Estate. Sheridan Place recalls the name of a previous owner of the site, Lady Ann Sheridan, who bought it in 1804. It would appear that Lady Ann – married to Sir Henry Sheridan, was, together with her husband, a part owner of the Mount Hindmost Estate in Jamaica – in other words, she was a slave owner – the estate produced sugar, rum and cattle.


    It would seem that the furthest part of, what is now Sheridan Place, was also part of Hampton’s Market Gardens, as there were greenhouses built there.


    YATES ROAD – a very short road that has no properties on it. Yates Road isn’t even an official name – it is what locals calls it. ‘Yates Road’ connects Tudor Road and Milton Road. The name comes from Yates Garage – which often had Mercedes parked on the frontage for sale. Don’t go looking for Yates Garage now as the site has been cleared and building work has started there. One assumes that houses are going to be built on what was the garage. Will this mean that in time ‘Yates Road’ will pass into history or will it re-emerge as the name of the road beside the new build.


    Names do have a habit of remaining in use long after the reason has disappeared. Just as an example – the Crooked Billet Roundabout in Staines was so named after the Crooked Billet Pub. The Pub went tens of years ago and finally a new estate has been built on the site. People in the future will no doubt puzzle over who or what was the Crooked Billet!


    The Old Historian
     

Share This Page