Chaplain’s corner

Discussion in 'HRBFC News from the Web' started by HRBFC, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HRBFC

HRBFC New Member

The sporting world is full of statistics and records and there are those who spend hours researching the facts and figures of their particular sport of interest. As technology has advanced it has made such research more accessible. In days gone by looking up statistics and records often meant hours spent turning page after page of the books containing the relevant information.

Now a few clicks of a mouse and good old Mr Google can answer most of our questions in the blink of an eye. Recently there has been a lot of coverage given to the quickest Premier League goal - following Christian Erikson’s early strike against Manchester United. Did you know that two of the three quickest goals were scored by players from the same club, I wonder if you know the answer? Here is a clue, it is the same club whose star striker has just notched up his one hundredth Premier League goal. I feel I ought not to mention the team as I might get accused of bias!!

At H&RBFC the first team have been setting records of their own this season and our statistician, “The Old Historian”, has been kept busy as the boys went on a twenty-one-match unbeaten run, in the league. A run that stretched all the way back to 26th August.

Alas, that run came to an end at Twerton Park, when Bath City defeated The Beavers 2-0. Despite the disappointment of that run coming to a halt the record of it will always be part of the club’s history.

Although records are there to be broken the achievement of an individual or team will never be erased. The names of those who have held World records and Olympic medal winners live on in the sporting archives until the end of time.

A good example of this can be found at the home of cricket, Lords. There, there is a “roll of honour” board, where the names of those who have either scored 100 runs or taken 5 or more wickets in a test match are listed. Some names appear more than once!! The names will always be on that board as long as Lords cricket ground remains standing.

Some of you may well have your name recorded because of some great achievement. Others may not wish to disclose where and why their names have been made a note of!! I’m sure that my name was recorded on several occasions by the whistling man in black, during my playing days for the odd over enthusiastic tackle.

God’s “Book of Life” is mentioned several times in the Bible. This is a good place to have your name recorded and once it is there it will never be erased. But, only those whose name is contained in God’s register will be invited to spend eternity with Him. Have you put your name down, by acknowledging Jesus as His son and our Saviour?

Updated 20:03 - 12 Feb 2018 by Rob Overfield

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.