Chaplain's Corner

Discussion in 'HRBFC News from the Web' started by HRBFC, Aug 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HRBFC

HRBFC New Member

Hampton & Richmond Borough v Havant & Waterlooville. There cannot be many other matches that contain more characters in the teams’ names than the two facing each other this afternoon. There is a mere forty-two between them, and I’m sure there is some boffin out there who will find a fixture with more.

This got me thinking about names. Most of our supporters will be aware that Richmond Borough was added to the club’s name in 1999, to attract football fans from outside Hampton. The club has a nickname; like most clubs, The Beavers. Many nicknames are obvious, for example, The Reds, The Blues, The City or Town. Some are less so.

It used to baffle me why Everton are known as The Toffees. I sure many of you know the answer, but here it is just in case: “Ye Anciente Everton Toffee House” was very popular with fans because it was very near their stadium. When the club moved to their current home at Goodison Park, they were very close to “Old Mother Nobletts Toffee shop”, where they sold sweets called “Evertonmints”

I expect many of us have been called by names other than those our parents gave us. I don’t think I was ever regularly called Paul when I was at school nor in various places of employment. I am not going to divulge what I was called in this article!!

My wife is also a classic case of someone known by many names. She was christened Patricia and only really called that by her mum. She was called Pat by her school friends and some of her former work colleagues. She really likes to be known as Trish or Tricia. I guess to many of you that know her at the club she is affectionately referred to as Mrs B.

I wonder how many of us have referred to our manager as Alan. I know he will answer to most things, but to most of us he is just simply known as “Dowse”.

Lord, Shepherd, King, Almighty Saviour, Prince of Peace, Emmanuel are just of the few of the names that Jesus is referred to in the Bible. Unfortunately, often the name of Jesus Christ is used as a curse or a swear word. This is another thing that baffles me. No one says, “Oh Bill Smith” when something has gone wrong!! It doesn’t quite have the same authority, for as the Bible says there is power in the name of Jesus!!

When you call someone by name they usually answer. Be careful if you call out to Jesus He may just answer you!!

Updated 13:29 - 30 Aug 2017 by Rob Overfield

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.