Weston at home on Saturday.

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by SHEPPERTON SUPPORTER, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Agent x

Agent x New Member

Yes was a great watch today, there was a great buzz about the place.
    Cliff are you sure the current grading covers National
    league? I think there is still work to
    Do for an A grade but no expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Mucky knees

Mucky knees Member

If Maidenhead can play in the conference national there should be no problem for us...

3. Bruce Speller

Bruce Speller New Member

The club has a B grade which is sufficient to be promoted and will have until 31st March 2019 to achieve an A grade should they gain promotion.
  4. cliffp

cliffp Member

This was the subject of much forum discussion towards the end of last season.

One of the main criteria was having sufficient covered seating by the deadline of 31st March. You might recall that both Wealdstone and Poole (who both finished above us in the table at the seasons end) did not have the 500 required and whilst both Clubs argued that they could meet the standard during the close season they were not permitted to take part in the "play-offs". We did have the required number and therefore took part although we had finished the season outside of the top 5 places.

This season I believe I am correct in saying there will be no further chance for a club who finishes outside of the play- off places (2nd - 7th) to take part if one of the clubs who do fail to meet the ground grading criteria. We have a sufficient ground grading (B) to take part in any play-off and any club would be given a further 12 months to achieve an A grading.
  5. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Yes, we have the grade to enter the play offs. We are carrying out remedial work to our stands, putting in new seats etc to improve our facilities.

If we were to be promoted the club has plans in place to carry out further improvements.
  6. Rob Overfield

Rob Overfield Member

Says something when I need to credit Will Henry with the assist for the first goal... :D
  7. Mucky knees

Mucky knees Member

Thought ot was Poole and Hungerford???

8. Rob Overfield

Rob Overfield Member

Wealdstone were in there too... but above us Poole and Hungerford are right.
  9. Mucky knees

Mucky knees Member

Look at where Hungerford are now...!

10. cliffp

cliffp Member

Thank you MK, you are correct.

Poole and Hungerford finished in the play-off places but weren't allowed to take part due to not meeting the ground grading criteria. Although finishing outside of the play-off places Wealdstone were next in line but weren't permitted either for the same reason.
  11. SteveM

SteveM Member

Does anybody KNOW (not wish to speculate on) how the playoffs would be restructured in the event one of the sides in the top seven failed to make the grade? If the team in top place failed, for example, I presume the second-placed team would go up automatically, but then would the fourth-placed team get the second automatic semi-final spot? And if so, how would the remaining three sides play off for the other two spots? I guess the fairest way would be to give the fifth-placed team a bye to the semi-finals, with sixth and seventh playing off for the other spot, but what if the club finishing fourth were to fail? Would that result in seventh (their alloted opponents) getting a bye to the semis while fifth and sixth are forced to fight it out for the remaing berth, effectively punishing them for finishing higher up the league? That would seem arbitrary and, dare I venture, unfair, would it not? Or would the bye always go to the highest-placed team within that structure, with the other two playing off, thereby changing the pre-ordained format? This highlights how complicated it could get if one team failed; dread to think of the algorithms required if two or more met the same fate. I'm sure that this is all clearly explained, with all possible scenarios accounted for, sonewhere in The FA's constitution/regulations though right? I mean, what else are they gonna do, make it up as they go along? Pfffft -- as if.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  12. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Couls happen in theory but probably won't looking at all the sides in contention.

Havant...decent ground, should be fine. Dartford...fine
    Us...fine, apparently
    Hemel...dont know for sure but looks OK
    St. Albans...fine I think
    Pushing it a bit after that I would have thought!
  13. The chauffeur

The chauffeur Member

That's disappointing to hear that you choose to watch football at the most soulless place I have come across this season in preference to Hampton with its great atmosphere and a real buzz about the place on matchdays - Casuals "home" is not a football ground, just a plastic arena with a grandstand - no atmosphere, no terracing and no cover for those who want to stand as do many Non League fans. Last time I was there there wasn't even a p.a. system!
    In response to your promotion question, it has been published here previously but here it is again for you.
    Champions go up, 2nd and 3rd have guaranteed play off semi final berth and home advantage. 4th plays 7th, 5th plays 6th in one-off matches to decide who goes to 2nd and 3rd. The final will be held at the home of the highest placed club to reach the final. All games are ONE-OFF.
  14. The chauffeur

The chauffeur Member

Its a simple answer - you have actually pretty much answered it yourself. Everyone moves up a place in effect for play off purposes but in line with last years rules of engagement, I am guessing nobody finishing lower than 9th would be permitted to go into play-offs. Given the official schedule is that 4th play 7th and 5th play 6th there is no way that 5th would get a bye into the semis!
    Now this bit is conjecture but one would think that the formula for the two play offs to qualify for the play off semis (madness) would change to something like this; 5th v 8th, 6th v 7th. That would fit in with the original plan.............personally I hope and suspect every ground involved is ok for the next step!
  15. SteveM

SteveM Member

My understanding was that there would be no playoff spots available to any side finishing lower than seventh, regardless how many clubs fail to make the grade -- is that not correct?
  16. SteveM

SteveM Member

General query mate, not necessarily relating to the situation in our league, just curious as to what the protocol would be
  17. The chauffeur

The chauffeur Member

I will check again but that is my understanding
  18. tony

tony Member

No team finishing lower than 7th can take part in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. The chauffeur

The chauffeur Member

Thanks Tony - I think this FA rulebook para confirms your version!

Where a Club finishes in 1st position but does not meet the criteria for participation at the next Step, the Club finishing in 2nd position shall be promoted. The Clubs finishing in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th positions shall be eligible to take part in the Play Off Matches. The Play Off Matches shall be played so that in each Step 2 division there is a qualifying round, semi-finals and a promotion final with all ties being played over a single leg at the ground of the higher placed Club. The winner of the promotion final in each Step 2 division will be promoted. If a Club is not eligible to enter Step 1 then it shall not take part in any Play Off Matches. In that event, such Club shall not be replaced and the Play Off Matches structure and draw shall be adjusted as necessary by the Competition on the basis of the remaining Clubs’ final league positions.
    SteveM and Hampton mad like this.