Beavers dent Stones's playoff hopes with hard fought victory at home

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by PressTeam, Apr 13, 2019.

1. PressTeam

PressTeam Member

[​IMG]

By HRBFC Press Team

Hampton secured their first win at home since January thanks to a double from Ruel Sotiriou

By Jack Cunningham

A double by Cyprus Under 21 International Ruel Sotiriou gave the Beavers back-to-back league wins and despite a contentious penalty given to Wealdstone, Hampton held on thanks to some superb defending.

Sotiriou's first goal was all down to excellent wing play from Ryan Hill as he collected the ball deep inside his own half and drove at the Stones defence, skipping by his marker Rhys Tyler and getting to the by-line.

He then whipped a fantastic cross to the back-post which Sotiriou converted.

The Leyton Orient loanee grabbed his second at the beginning of the second half thanks to pure graft and determination as he forced a mistake from Wealdstone captain Jerome Okimo, the centre back tried to head the ball back to his goalkeeper but the header lacked power and Sotiriou nipped in and slotted the ball home.

Two goals to cap off a man of the match display. Wealdstone though pulled one back in the 70th minute when they were awarded a soft penalty for a foul by Ashley Maynard-Brewer on substitute David Pratt.

Centre back Christian Smith firing the spot kick into the left corner to give the traveling Stones fans hope, but the Hampton back-line excellently marshaled by the returning Simon Downer held firm and moved the Beavers eight points clear of the drop with three games to go.

The Beavers were excellent today and the result was the perfect follow-on from last week at Billericay and sets the team up for the end of season run in.

Gary's thoughts

"We replicated last weeks performance in terms of energy and enthusiasm, I though there was some good passages of play with good quality and we maybe could have had one or two more.

"I thought the penalty was really harsh, I mean the goalkeeper can't even see where he is coming from and the centre forward has just run into him. I thought it was a really soft penalty.

"Then we had to show another side to our game and we dug in saw the game out really well, showed a level of professionalism and gamesmanship that is required and we are really pleased.

"The two goals that Ruel got were reward for his work-rate and tenacity which he showed all game and speaks volumes for his young and tender age."

Let's block ads! (Why?)