Beavers see off Spelthorne to seal cup progress

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by PressTeam, Dec 4, 2018.

  1. PressTeam

    PressTeam Member

    Hampton secure progression into the third round of the Middlesex Senior Charity Cup following a 3-1 victory over Spelthorne Sports FC.

    Report by Ben Lang

    Zak Joseph gave Beavers the lead early on before Flatman levelled for Spelthorne. Uchechi then restored the advantage before Joseph sealed victory with a second-half strike.

    Gary McCann named a strong side by making just four changes to the side that fell to a 1-0 against Billericay Town on Saturday. Tyler Miller-Rodney, Ogo Obi, Oliver Sprague and Joseph entering the starting line-up in place of Luke Ruddick, Chris Dickson, Yado Mambo and Michael Corcoran.

    Beavers started the game with much vigour and raced into an early lead. Miller-Rodney surged into the penalty box and played a teasing ball into the path of Zak Joseph who tapped home with just two minutes on the clock.

    The visitors continued to dominate and Joseph came close to doubling his tally when he danced his way into the box before rifling a low shot which drifted just wide of the far post. Obi also threatened in the opening exchanges with a 20-yard shot that deflected wide.

    Beavers had the ball in the net again on the half hour mark only for it to be disallowed by referee Paul Andrews. Obi had successfully controlled Rian Bray’s knockdown before drilling the ball beyond Harry Poole, but he was adjudged to have been offside.

    On the 40th minute, Spelthorne equalised against the run of play as Tom Lovelock parried Jack Wadmore’s shot into the path of Lewis Flatman who tapped home from on the line.

    At the other end, Hampton immediately restored their lead when Uchechi’s looping cross from the left flank evaded the defence before bouncing over Henry Poole and into the net.

    Beavers were close to gaining a two-goal cushion before the break when Nathan Mavila received the ball on the overlap before crossing into the feet of Ricky Wellard whose first-time effort was just wide.

    At the start of second half, Hampton had another goal chalked off following a well-worked move. Obi surged past two defenders before launching a deep cross which eventually fell to Joseph. Hampton’s first-half goal scorer once again made the net ripple, this time with a half-volley, but it was ruled out for a foul on the goalkeeper in the build-up.

    Spelthorne soon had a chance to level the scores when Wellard unintentionally deflected the ball into the path of Joe Dyett who created space in the box but couldn’t keep his strike on target.

    On the 71st minute, Joseph scored his second of the game to extend Hampton’s lead. It was a neatly produced goal with Wellard combining with Uchechi who delivered the ball towards Joseph across the box. The winger was once again on hand to tap the ball in at the far post.

    Murrell-Williamson had a good chance to seal victory late on when he found himself one-on-one with Poole, but the keeper made a decent save to keep him out.

    Hampton continued to threaten into the dying embers of the game but couldn’t capitalise on a succession of late chances. However, the result secures Hampton's place in the next round and sees McCann's men get a win under their belt heading into Saturday’s game at East Thurrock.

    Gary's post-match reaction:

    "We needed to get that winning feeling back, it's been too long really.

    "It's not the perfect performance. There were some passages of play where we should have played a lot better than we did and we are disappointed to concede a goal. But all-in-all, there are a lot of positives to take from the game.

    "We've given some minutes to players in the group who have been short of minutes. We've taken a lot out of today's game, but the win is the most important thing as it now sets us up for Thursday and then East Thurrock on Saturday."

    Let's block ads! (Why?)

Share This Page