Malcolm Dickenson RIP

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by Les 1949, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Extremely sad news. We have learnt tonight that Malcolm Dickenson has died at the young age of 57., apparently of a heart attack. Dicko is one of the old players on our new montage in the Club House.

The Dickenson family were part of the fabric of the club for a number of years.

Malcolm made his debut on 6th March 1984 at Beveree against Boreham Wood (having joined from Feltham) wearing the No 3 Shirt.

The last appearance was on 4th December 1994 against Saffron Walden Town sporting the No 4 Shirt.

Dicko left the club midway shortly after and joined Staines Town, for whom he made several return visits to Beveree!.

In all Malcolm made 452 appearances (450 starts, 2 subs ) and scored 23 goals.

I seem to recall that he had a thunderous shot and was a 'firm' tackler..

In 1986/87 he made an impressive 63 starts (out of 67 games) and scored a career high 10 goals - not bad for a midfield/defender.

In December 1987, Malcolm broke his leg which brought an end to his 1987/88 season. He did not re-appear in the team until January of the following season.

My understanding is that Dicko and his family moved to the Borurnemouth area after he left Staines Town.

Hampton awarded Malcolm a Testimonial, which took place on 10th April 1992, against an Arsenal XI.

Malcolm's father Denis was on the Committee of the Club at the same time and was also part-time groundsman.

My understanding is that Dicko and his family moved to the Bournemouth area after he left Staines Town.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Shocking news.

RIP Malcolm.

3. Hampton mad

Hampton mad Member

Very Sad News. RIP Malcolm.

4. TW2-Beaver

TW2-Beaver Member

Very sad news. Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends.

5. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Oh no, that is genuinely sad news. Great player, equally fearless in the tackle even after such a bad leg break. RIP.

6. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Dicko pictured in September 1993....

upload_2019-12-7_12-23-42.
    ...determined to win that ball!

RogerSW likes this.
  7. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Found these amongst my pics, both taken around the same time....

upload_2019-12-7_13-13-8.
    Hilary & Dicko watching Denis marking the pitch

upload_2019-12-7_13-13-33.

8. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Great pics Les.

Memories.

9. Really sad news.

Malcolm really was a club legend.

RIP Malcolm

10. Nick

Nick Member

The word 'Legend' I feel is thrown around all too easily these days, but Malcolm was one of the real Hampton 'Legends', and have to admit my all time No.1 player.

A wonderful person, who was one to have a really good laugh with the supporters in the day, always had time for us and turned out to be a great friend, who always remembered our names on his many returns to the club as a supporter a few years back.

Right from his debut it was clear to see the passion in his play, and no nonsense tackling, a future captain from that day on. But that sour day where his leg was broken, I can still see as clear as anything, a horrible event.

The Dickenson family were a wonderful acquisition to the club during that era, and Malcolm's Mum & Dad (Denis and Jean) were such a great couple.

Such sad news
    R.I.P. Malcolm

Hampton mad likes this.
  11. Seb White

Seb White Member

Very sad news this, 57 is no age. As a relative newcomer to HRBFC it’s clear he left a lasting impression, which is no mean feat in non-league circles.

I notice his son Brennan is a professional footballer as well.

12. Jamie

Jamie Member

I'm pretty sure he is one of the signatures on the signed ball I still have of when I went on a kids soccer camp in the early 90s.

Absolute legend! A mind blowing amount of games for one club.

Attached Files:

RogerSW likes this.
  13. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Not sure where else to put this but Malcolm's son Brennan scored his second goal for Exeter to earn point from a 1-1 draw at home to Crawley.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    RogerSW, Hampton mad and Richard like this.