1. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

We just weren't good enough, it's as simple as that. Yes we had a late flurry (not sure what our pen was for) but in truth we never looked like winning and lost to an average side, albeit one who play as a team and are set up properly. You don't need the biggest budget in the world to be a bit better set up at least. Other sides have proved that against us in the past.
    I'm really not sure where we go from here, because this squad, with one or two exceptions, just isn't ready for, or up to, this level.
    But after tonight, Ryan Hill has to start, even if he might not turn out to be a 90 minute player.

2. Solstice

Solstice New Member

I watched Slough v Weymouth tonight. Regardless of Slough's one point advantage, Hampton will struggle against them.

3. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

I really hope tonight's late flurry away to Oxford doesn't delude anyone into thinking anything other than the growing, sinking feeling that we are going to struggle against pretty much everyone in this league at the moment.

Hampton mad likes this.
  4. Big Rich

Big Rich Member

Aside from anything else the effort and commitment in the first 60 minutes just wasn’t good enough. When they started playing it was already too late.

5. tony

tony Member

I would have hoped and indeed expected with the likes of Walker, Inman, Donaldson and Jelley that we had enough experience at the back to be conceding far fewer goals. Fox by all accounts is also a decent player. My biggest concern was whether we would score enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. That has been the case for large portions of every game so far. We aren't in the game for anywhere near long enough to get something out of it.

Big Rich and Richard like this.
  7. RogerSW

RogerSW New Member

Good things from Oxford City away:
    442 gives us one more in midfield
    Fightback was good
    Soares played well, looks like knows how to play
    Hill made impact again
    Brown quick

Possible improvements:
    One on one marking at corners and freekicks
    Mcauley and T M-R in central midfield look strong
    More focus at start of every half

Fine margins, we can do it!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. Adam

Adam Member

An annoying game of not being able to defend set pieces. Started off brightly for the first 60 seconds. We then hardly won any 2nd balls. We did have a few spells in the 1st half of good attacking play but they generally fizzled out. Our best chance being a Lewthwaite header that hit the inside of the post.
    After the half time interval we were so flat, what was said to them at half time!! The midfield two of Mcauley and Stead didn't offer us enough energy in the middle of the park. Only once Gary finally made the double sub after being 3 down did we get some energy into our performance moving Tyrell into a central position and the pace of Brown and Hill out wide offered this. We only lost the game by a goal but the damage had already been done.
    When they game is passing us by Gary needs to be a bit clinical in making changes rather than waiting for the inevitable to happen and then trying to bring back a lost cause in my opinion.

RogerSW and ChazRivers like this.
  9. davc

davc Member

It seems the manager doesn't really trust the players and is setting up way too defensive & workmanlike..Hampton have to start playing higher up the pitch, at its simplest a long ball down the channel to have Hill and Lewthwaite chasing and be happy with a throw in in the final third. This was pretty much the intent of Haven't & Waterlooville a few games ago. By sitting deep (particularly 5 at the back until last night) or 4 across the middle with no pace or forward threat we invite teams to play in our defensive third and pick up fouls and set pieces. More creativity can be provided by Deadfield and Soares in the middle at the expense of one of the "battlers" and try and play the front two in for a change instead of them relying on scraps. One final and very obvious point, last season we relied on the experience of Downer, Dundas & Dickson and all three had to be on their game for us to play well. We are definitely lacking players who have played at a higher level and can really impact a Conference South game. Too many of this seasons lot are "hanging in" games as opposed to imposing themselves on the opposition. This is plain to see by how quiet we are as a team. Either they are lacking confidence or are just not good enough.

10. hrbfc__fan

hrbfc__fan Member

What is the outcome if we lose our next 3 games Billericay, Dorking and Chippenham ? Surely he’s close to going

11. cliffp

cliffp Member

Surely any manager losing the first 7 games would be under scrutiny?

12. hrbfc__fan

hrbfc__fan Member

I don’t think this one will be unfortunately

13. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Not going to know now.

14. hrbfc__fan

hrbfc__fan Member

1 point from 21 would still be atrocious

15. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Totally agree. 1 point from 15 is already atrocious...

hrbfc__fan likes this.
  16. davc

davc Member

Its almost as if some on this thread are almost disappointed we got a point yesterday..the season started will a team of strangers and pre season was spent spent sorting out a squad as opposed to building a pattern of play..Harry Wheeler was very positive about Gary in his post match interview i suggest we start doing the same..

Hampton mad likes this.
  17. hrbfc__fan

hrbfc__fan Member

You say this season started with a team full of strangers, well that’s Garys fault because this his second year now so he could of kept a settled squad but decide to start from scratch but I’m happy we got a point I hope he stays with the same back line and starting 11 next Saturday and we kick on from there

18. cliffp

cliffp Member

Do you think the substantial cut in playing budget may have been a factor?

Where do you think we might rank out the 22 clubs in the NLS in terms of playing budget?

19. hrbfc__fan

hrbfc__fan Member

Surely the players from last year couldn’t be on that much but if we have such a small playing budget how we affording Inman ?

20. cliffp

cliffp Member

I'm pretty sure it was reported at the time the playing budget for last season was in line with what Dowse had to work with. Having said that we all know Dowse (how well is he doing by the way?) worked hard to raise additional funds to top that up. In appointing his replacement the board chose to move away from a full time manager and revert back to a part time set up so I don't suppose a part time manager would be able to dedicate the time and effort in supplementing the budget as was previously the case?

On 24th May this year the Chairman said in a press release that "the manager would be operating with a much reduced playing budget" so I'd take that as we weren't able to spend anywhere near what had been spent previously on the playing squad. I've no idea how we afford Dean Inman other than to note he reached an agreement to terminate his contract with Kingstonian with a season still to run so may have been "paid up" in full or part perhaps lowering his wage requirements going forward?

I do think this years NLS is an incredibly tough division to get promoted from and I'm sure we could all name several teams we'd expect to be there or thereabouts. Interestingly we got a draw with possibly the biggest spending club on Saturday which perhaps give some light at the end of the tunnel?

Yes the Manager does take some of the reponsibility for what happens on the pitch but the board also decide the direction and strategy for the club as a whole and most agree that the long term future of the club must be taken into account. It's been well reported that the need for improvements and upgrades to the fabric are long overdue and now being attended to. Let's hope that on pitch performance ensures we continue at step 2 of the non-league system.

But I still come back to the simple equation that in most cases £budget is relative to league position. So if you've got a budget in the bottom 3 of the league don't be surprised if your team is in the bottom 3 either.