Player Retention **Poll Added**

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by Æthelbehrt the Woebegone, Apr 28, 2019.

?

Who should be retained for next season?

1. Tom Lovelock

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Luke Ruddick

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  3. Simon Downer

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Rian Bray

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Oliver Sprague

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Tyrell Miller-Rodney

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  7. Casey Maclaren

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  8. Jack Connors

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  9. Ricky Wellard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Hector Kyprianou

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  11. Michael Corcoran

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  12. Harry Crawford

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  13. Ryan Hill

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  14. Matty Wichelow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Chris Dickson

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  16. Craig Dundas

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  17. Marcel Barrington

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  18. Karl Oliyide

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  19. Ruel Sotiriou

20 vote(s)
    90.9%
  20. Zak Jospeh

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SteveM

SteveM Member

:D

2. Nicebeaver

Nicebeaver New Member

Ah, "Tangerine" ...is this a certain Northwest seaside town?
    If is, blimey, that all got very nasty!

3. Looking at the results thus far, a pattern is starting to emerge.
    Perhaps some caution might needed to be given with regards to the loan players whose availability next season is out of our hands. Connors has a free transfer, so his availability is less complicated.
    In the light of Gary’s remarks about fitness that would preclude several other players currently with several votes to their name.

4. tony

tony Member

Connors may want full time football so not a certainty that he will want to join us on a permanent basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  5. It is . But other examples are available (Sheff Weds I think) . Anyway the suing of fans is what triggered for many (but not all) the home attendance boycott which has just come to an end.

6. Agree we need an influx of new players and we don’t have the biggest budget in our league, so it will be tricky but not impossible.
    The list from Dover was early, but there will be lots more issued shortly once clubs and players have had discussions. Clubs in playoffs may not be ready to make decisions.
    Gary will have spoken to players who may well have agreed to join, details will be forthcoming once all the paperwork has been done.

7. This poll does give a very good indication of supporters thoughts on the composition of the squad, most would agree with the selections.
    Some of the preferred players are young loans whose retention is out of our hands.
    However I have a feeling that, whilst most of us would favour a major clear out, Gary may have other ideas based on budget costs and loyalty to players.
    Amongst the less fancied players are probably higher earners, so if they depart, this might be reinvested into securing stronger and less injury prone to spine to the team.
    Recruitment has started in our league, I am hoping some exciting recruitment news will be soon forthcoming.

8. Its started : see club website

9. Fairly brutal but agree with every decision. I expect Downer not staying on is an age and personal thing.

Even though he didn't play much towards the end credit must be given to Dickson for essentially carrying that team during our "good spell" and coming up with goals when they mattered (cup run etc).

Great to see Ruddick for another year...Joseph has also been re-signed ;)

10. James Dean

James Dean Member

Pasted from the website....

Our retained list, submitted to the FA this week, shows that Luke Ruddick and Zak Joseph will be completing the second year of their contracts at the Jezzards Beveree next season.

Of the remaining five who were under contract, we decided not to take up the options for Tom Lovelock and Karl Oliyide.

We have also decided against offering new terms for next season to the other three players, Chris Dickson, Ricky Wellard and Simon Downer.

Everyone is thanked for their efforts on behalf of the club in 2018-19, especially those who were with us for the whole campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. James Dean

James Dean Member

Part 2.....

Gary knows the squad will need improving on last season and he will be working diligently to strengthen it.

Some of our non-contract players will hopefully agree terms for the coming season and be back in for July. He is looking to retain those that have impressed him or shown promise for the future.

Discussions are already underway with targets he has identified and we will keep you up to date on these when it's possible.

Details of pre-season friendlies are being confirmed, but the only three we can release at present are:

July 16 - Barnet (home), 7.45pm

July 27 - Chesham United (away), 3pm

July 30 - Hanworth Villa (away), 7.30pm

The NLS programme is due to start on Saturday, August 3.

Discussions are taking place with several EFL clubs and one from the Premier League about further home friendlies, so watch this space for these as they are agreed.

12. davc

davc Member

Oliyide was on a contract???!!!!

13. So, basically, the only guarantees are that Ruddick and Joseph are here at the start of next season. Zak can certainly count himself a little lucky and will need to show significant improvement.

Glad to see we didn't take up options on Lovelock and Wellard, that would have made no sense at all. Dicko and Downer also sensible decisions given age and injury records. The fact Oliyide was on a contract at all given how little we saw of him is a concern. We can't afford to make those sort of mistakes on our budget.

A positive start. Let's hope Gary is as brutal with the non contract players and only keeps those who are up to the job.

Lord Elpus and James Dean like this.
  14. Well that’s a start, would agree with most of the above comments.
    Couple of surprising players on contract last season, no real shocks in the retained list. It will have freed up a considerable amount of the budget.
    By deduction we must assume Dundas, Sprague, Maclaren, Bray, Barrington, Hall, Wichelow, Corcoran, Miller-Rodney and Crawford all on non contract terms. Think some will be around next season, hopefully less than half.
    Now the exciting bit of who comes in, fingers crossed they are what folk are looking for!

15. tony

tony Member

Don’t think we had any choice on Joseph, it was his option for a second season. Unsurprised about the others although Dickson’s goals will be hard to replace.

16. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Ha! From the club that supposedly doesn't do retained lists...here we are. I think the list is a very positive start. I too would have kept Ruddick and as Joseph was still on contract there wasn't much option with him. I think it's fair to suggest Joseph might be more effective player in a better team. He didn't exactly get a lot of support and service this season did he? Of the players who we assume are non-contract, I'd like to see Dundas given another opportunity. The same for young Ryan Hill. But in all honesty I'd be disappointed to see many of the others mentioned make a return. I really hope it isn't just a situation where only Dickson, Downer, Oliyide, Lovelock and Wellard have really been "let go" and the rest might all report back for pre-season.
    So, yes, a positive start. But I hope we can now bring in a genuinely competitive "spine" to build and consolidate the rest around.

17. Which non contract players remain might depend on several factors:
    a] the budget which might be effected by board room changes.
    b] recruitment of better players.
    c] our players financial demands and if they wish to remain.

Most folk agree about the spine of the team needs replacing. It looks like 6/7 [minimum] fresh faces.

18. Dundas has gone back to Sutton so there’s another vacancy! Website suggests more player news next week.

19. There are 20 names on the original list . 3 are loans so must be discounted. 2 are staying, 6 have left and 9 undecided. Of these 9 only Hall and Sprague have more than 10 votes. Based on this poll not many of the others will start next season.

20. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Ha ha, this is getting like Britain's Got Talent! "It's a no from me..."